- Start eat the food as you normally do (but without rushing)
- Be aware that you are eating.
- Notice the taste of the food.
Advanced practice 1
While eating, also be your aware of specific taste, e.g. sweetness, sourness, saltiness, bitterness and piquancy.
Advanced practice 2
In the above step 3, also be aware of the taste change if the taste of the food changes while chewing,
While eating, also be your aware of specific texture, e.g. tenderness, crispness, crunchiness, smoothness and softness; color of food; and temperature of food.
Advanced practice 4
In the above step 3, also be aware of the texture change if the texture of the food changes while chewing,
Advanced practice 5
While eating, also be your aware of specific ingredients of the food, for example, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, herb, oil.
Advanced practice 6
Expand your awareness to one or more of the followings: sounds of chewing; sensation in the throat and stomach; hands movements; your breath; thoughts or feelings that are arising while eating; and other physical mental experiences.
- chew food thoroughly before swallowing.
- Leave knife, fork or chop stick on the table while chewing.
- cut food into smaller pieces.
- sit down while eating.
- turn off TV.
- General meditation tips